Thursday 8 November 2012

My Front Porch Makeover

I've always wanted to have a lovely front porch to sit on during warm Spring-Summer days but it's been a bit of a dream since we bought the house. Decorating the front porch has never been a priority. Since Little Miss became a toddler, I decided it was time to make it happen so we could sit out here together. This has been my project for the last few weeks & I've really enjoyed it.

This is what the porch looked like before:




very dull & boring. A blank canvas waiting to be transformed.




You can even see a glimpse of my outdoor thongs which I keep here for when I step outside.
Not a very inviting porch & not a great first impression of the house.


This is what the front porch looks like now:



Understated, practical & neutral.




I did a bit of searching for the bench, as I was determined to get a white one. It wasn't easy to find, as most are either plain timber or wrought iron. Thank goodness for my favourite store at the moment - Masters. Both the white bench & the outdoor rug were bought at Masters.

Details for the rest of the items:



wicker table/ottoman is from Early Settler (great for holding a cup of coffee or a magazine),
terracotta citronella candles are from Bunnings (to ward off the mozzies),
star candle holder is from Flower Power (for added ambience),
plastic tray with handles I had around the house (for holding flowers, magazines, candles, & to carry drinks & things in & out of the house),



fresh roses are from my garden,



outdoor cushions were a bargain buy from Flower Power,



white plastic stool is from Ikea (doubles as another chair or small table),
fern is from Flower Power,
white flower pot I had around the house.

Of course, there's so much more that I could add to make it "pop" a bit more (colours, textures, plants, etc), but I decided to keep it classic & simple for now because I will be adding splashes of festive splendour for Christmas next month (hopefully that'll be a future blog post).

A welcoming porch gives a positive first impression to people when they arrive at your home (decorating your front porch when trying to sell your house is a big plus!). Little Miss & I sit out here on warm afternoons waiting for hubby to arrive from work. It's such a nice, cosy space for us & I love sitting out here. It's currently our favourite "room".

Have you done any mini projects at your house lately? Maybe you're getting a few things ready for Christmas. Feel free to share - I'd love to hear about it.










No comments:

Post a Comment