Saturday 19 May 2012

Organise your Greeting Cards

There have been times when I've found myself with a beautifully wrapped gift but no card to attach to it, & then I've had to rush off to a newsagency/shopping centre/supermarket to buy a card. I decided that, whenever I find beautiful cards whilst I'm out shopping, I'll buy them & keep them for future use. Those unique hand-made cards that you find at markets & at small gift shops are my favourites.

The challenge is, how do you store them?
I came up with this idea:


I bought this white box at Officeworks (a set of 3 different sized boxes cost about $20 - this one is the largest in the set). You can use a shoe box or any other box you may have around the house that is big enough to fit greeting cards.



I also had some previously used plastic A4 dividers



& I removed the old yellow labels from the tabs. I cut the dividers to size, so they would fit inside the box. (You can use traditional cardboard dividers if you like). 
I put a blank white sticker on each tab & hand wrote on each one.
Then I sorted through all the cards, grouped them & put them in the box.




I ended up with these groupings:

Baby (includes Christening, Birth, Baby Shower, Mum-To-Be, etc)
Birthday
Easter & Xmas
Get Well Soon
New Home
Sympathy
Thank You
Wedding (includes Kitchen Tea, Wedding, Engagement etc)
Various (any other cards, including blank ones)
& one for Stickers, Seals etc

You can label your dividers any way you like, depending on what cards you have.




I hand wrote on the tabs to give them a personal touch, rather than using my trusty labelling machine.




I did, however, use my machine to label the front of the box









It's neat & compact & stackable. Very practical!
The box is organised well enough for me not to have to spend too much time searching for the right card. Of course, there are cards that I can't buy in advance (eg. kids age birthday cards, Anniversary cards, Farewell cards, etc), so those cards won't be stored in this box as I'll buy those cards when I need them. But for most other cards, this storage box works quite well. 

I'm still trying to work out a good way to store my wrapping paper & ribbons, but I'll be sure to let you know if I come up with a storage idea for those. Feel free to share if you have a great idea that works well for you. 











1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. Have just been thinking of this myself recently. Thanks for the inspiration!!! xx DS.

    ReplyDelete